AUGUST BIRTHSTONE: PERIDOT
WHAT IS PERIDOT?
Peridot is a gemstone from the mineral olivine family; with harness of 6.5 on the scale of gem’s hardness developed by Mineralogist Friedrich Mohs in 1812. The name Peridot comes from the French word faridat, which means gem. Peridot has different shades of olive green, and greenish yellow, Peridot comes from many parts of the world including Zabargad, Myanmar, Arizona, Hawaii, and Norway. It is usually found in rocks intergrown with other minerals.
Peridot was known as the evening emerald by ancients’ romans and Egyptians during the time of Cleopatra. She loved peridot and used it in many of her beautiful jewelry and clothes. This gemstone is translucent and some times even transparent,its beautiful shades olive green made Peridot a very unique and desirable gemstone by people with power during the 1500 B. C.
Peridot is AUGUST BIRTHSTONE
We love peridot for its lovely olive green shades that reminds us of peacefulness, strength and earthiness. And because it complement well almost all other color gemstones.
See some of our Peridot sterling silver jewelry.
Our favorite celebrities with August Birthdays
- Dustin Hoffman’s birthday: August 8th 1937
- Charlize Theron’s birthday: August 7th 1975
- Halle Berry’s birthday: August 14th 1966
- Mila Kunis’s birthday: August 14th 1983
- Madonna’s birthday: August 16th 1958
- Robert De Niro’s birthday: August 17th 1943
- Al Roker’s birthday: August 20th 1954
- Amy Adams’ birthday: August 20th, 1974
- Sean Connery’s birthday: August 25th, 1930
- Rachael Ray’s birthday: August 25th, 1968
- Cameron Diaz’s birthday: August 30th, 1972
- Richard Gere’s birthday: August 31st, 1949
Are you celebrating your birthday this august?